What is the Technicians of the Year Award?
The AED Foundation’s Knapheide Technicians of the Year Award will be presented annually to technicians from the below regions to recognize the best of the best in the technician field. This award recognizes the hard-working technicians who are critical to the success of AED distributor members and the industry.
This award highlights the importance of the technician career. Not only does it bring awareness of the technician shortage, but it also further promotes industry-specific jobs to students, parents, educators, and other stakeholders.
Nominations are open to all technicians with at least five years of experience. Their employers must be AED members.
A winner from each of the following regions will be selected; Canada, Great Lakes, Midwest, Northeast, South Central, Southeast, and West. The location of a company’s headquarters determines its region.
A company may nominate a maximum of three technicians for the award. All entered nominees will be up for consideration for the award during the current year, in addition to the two years following their submission.
The employer will be asked to complete a short nomination form online to provide each technician’s contact information, qualifications and achievements. Please note that the submission of this information also gives The AED Foundation and the Knapheide Manufacturing Company the right to contact the technician for any follow-up that may be necessary.
Access the electronic employer nomination form here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AEDFKnapheideTOTY
If am employer’s technician receives an award, the employer is responsible for:
- Providing photos of the technician and a company logo to Marty McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org for a presentation during The AED Foundation’s Fundraising Gala.
- The winner will be expected to attend the 2021 Summit and will be honored, in person, during The AED Foundation Fundraising Gala. The AED Foundation will cover the registration cost for the 2021 Summit and The AED Foundation Fundraising Gala for all winning technicians. Airfare, hotel accommodations, and other trip expenses are not included and will need to be provided by the employer.
- The winner must agree to an interview and a feature article in AED’s award-winning Construction Equipment Distribution (CED) Magazine.
Judging Criteria and Scoring
- 20%: Years of Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience as an equipment technician is required. The employer will need to verify the technician’s employment history (company name and years at each organization).
- 20%: Education: This includes the technician’s education history and training, along with a list of their certifications and credentials received as a technician. Please include technical school courses and degrees/diplomas/certificates; company and manufacturer training/certifications; AED and/or AED Foundation training: seminars, self-study courses, manager certifications, and Technician Certification; and other educational certifications and credentials.
- 20%: Community and Volunteer Involvement: Please provide a record of the applicant’s volunteer work and efforts the applicant has made to promote the technician profession.
- 20%: Safety: This should discuss how the technician demonstrates safety in the workplace and with his/her coworkers.
- 20%: Leadership & Team Building: Provide examples of how the technician has improved the general work environment, improved efficiencies within the company, or otherwise added value to the company.
The Technicians of the Year Recipients will receive:
- Complimentary registration to AED’s 2021 Summit and The AED Foundation’s Fundraising Gala
- Recognition plaque
- Recognition during the awards presentation at The AED Foundation’s Fundraising Gala
- Feature story in CED Magazine
- February 12: Last day to submit electronic nomination forms from employers.
- February 19: Employers will receive information regarding the winning candidates.
- February 26: Winners and employers are expected to supply high-resolution photos and company logos for the award presentation.
- May 24: The AED Foundation’s – Knapheide Technicians of the Year Award will take place at The AED Foundation’s Fundraising Gala during the 2021 Summit in Las Vegas, Nevada.
For any questions or comments about the process, please contact Marty McCormack at 630-642-9108 or email@example.com.
When do we announce the winners?
Winners of The AED Foundation’s – Knapheide Technicians of the Year award are announced during The AED Foundation’s Fundraising Gala at AED’s Summit. Upon announcement, winners are invited on stage to receive their plaque of recognition and a photo-op with AEDF and Knapheide executives and fellow winners alike.
How do I nominate a technician?
In order to nominate a technician for the Knapheide Technicians of the Year award, please click here. Nominations are open to all technicians with at least 5 years of experience who work for an AED member company. One winning technician will be recognized from each of the following regions: Canada, Great Lakes, Midwest, Northeast, South Central, Southeast, and West. The location of a company’s headquarters determines their region.
Hear from a past winner!
Watch our video for a message from a 2019 award winner Clayton Kennon, a Heavy Equipment Technician from SMS Equipment.
Who are the winners for 2019?
- Jeremy Ford – Field Tech | Ascendum Machinery Inc.
- Loren O’Connor – Topline Mechanic | Sunstate Equipment Co.
- Dalton Koelzer – Field Service Technician | Vermeer Texas-Louisiana
- Randy Ciolkosz – Field Service Technician | Miller-Bradford & Risberg
- Clayton Kennon – Heavy Equipment Technician, Journeyman | SMS Equipment
- Steve French – Service Technician | Rock & Recycling Equipment
- Jake Dugger – Field Mechanic | Coastline Equipment
- David DeGood – Shop Lead | Bobcat Enterprises Inc.